Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tiger Orchid























































Here is my 'go' at
a
art nouveau
attempt to make a pseudo tiger orchid. It's very pretty! Pretty must count for something. I shall dedicate this flower to Kitty Eaton Cannell. A Paris fashion correspondent, during WWII she reported on occupying forces' press conferences for the New York Times.
William Carlos Williams, an American poet, pediatrician and general practitioner was quoted as saying about Kitty, "Kitty Cannell
       in her squirrel coat
          and yellow skull cap
             which made the French
                           man and woman
turn in the street and stare
         seeing a woman
approaching six feet
so accoutered"
When I first tried to write this quote, it seemed not one person had all the commas in the correct place and then, when I thought, maybe, I had them all in the right place... the sentence seemed too full of commas. So, I changed the form to poetry and voila'... now it reads right, to me. One can read the quote as a poem, pausing after each line and speaking each line as if it were 'a story unto itself' already.
Somewhere in the cosmos I think I hear, "It's brilliant!"
Isn't it fitting that the plaque dedicated to this man, at St. Mary's Hospital, Passaic,
                                                                                                   reads... "Poet Physician."  
So, here's to Kitty and the rather rare orchid that she must have been...
... yellow skull cap and squirrelly attire notwithstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment